"I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you" Ezekiel 36:26

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Transformation Thursday


Follow me over to The Shabby Chic Cottage for my very first Transformation Thursday where I will be sharing this hutch made of old fence re purposed wood!!! Talk about one man's trash!!! And how green can you get??? I have always loved recycling things and making them into something new!! I'm excited to see what everyone else has so I better get this going. Here we go :))
 I usually spray my furniture but I figured the wood would just soak it up and it take too many coats so I rolled the paint on and it worked pretty good. It was a little gloppy in some areas but overall it did the trick.

This is what I started with. I didn't make the hutch but I do know the gentleman who did. I almost forgot to take a before picture. You can see on the side that I had already started painting it :/ So many of the projects I have done over the years don't have a before picture. I get so excited about getting started that I forget to take pictures of the before and then after it's done I'm kicking myself for not doing it. But on this one I just so happened to remember :))  Yay!!
 
 




The gentleman that made the hutch used screen in the doors. 




It really looked ok but I prefer the look of chicken wire. I think it gives it more of a rustic look (plus I love chicken wire.)
And here it is.  After I painted it I couldn't even wait for the paint to dry to start distressing it.  But it was not really wet. The wood really soaks up the paint.  I love to distress furniture.  It's kinda like therapy but a whole heck of a lot cheaper :)




I don't know why I love chicken wire so much.... One time I covered a lampshade base with chicken wire and then used a white cotton hankie with lace on it to cover the top.  I loved it.... I don't know about anybody else, but I did :))




Here is the base of the hutch.  The top is removable so it is not so heavy to move around.  I just painted over the hardware that was on there too. I think if you didn't want to use the bottom for display and just use it for storage, it would look really good with some fabric behind the chicken wire.  Maybe a toile or even just plain white cotton or linen.  But I think it would be an ideal place to store and display some cream wear or even all your silver (mine is all tarnished at the moment and I think that would even look good in there!!





Here is the top of the hutch (and one of my mannequins (I love them so much :))  I didn't know at the time that I was taking these pictures that I would be posting them on a blog.  So you will have to excuse the mess in the background.  You may have noticed that I don't have a straight on shot of the hutch.  That is because I couldn't get far enough away to get it all in the shot.  This thing is huge.  It is probably a good 7ft. tall and maybe 5ft. wide.  It really is a monster!!  If it wasn't soo big I would be bringing it home with me.  I really want a potting bench / hutch for the patio and this would be perfect for that.  The wood is treated and already weathered.  I use exterior paint so that would be good.   I think it would just get better looking sitting outside.  But that is just me :)




And here it is all dressed up for the Transformation Tuesday party... You like??? I loooove it!!!
Please excuse the dolly in the picture.  I couldn't crop it out without taking off the whole bottom of the hutch.  I think having this blog and knowing that I am taking pictures to post on here will make me become more aware of everything else in the picture.



So there it is.... I hope you enjoyed it.  I will eventually open an Etsy shop and start selling some of this stuff and I am planning on taking the furniture to a consignment shop.  It just doesn't look like I am going to be able to do what I wanted to with opening the shop and having the flea market.  But I am not going to give up.  I know this is what I want to do.  I just have more pressing things going on in my life at this moment.  But one day I do plan to open my shop again and hopefully have it on a piece of land large enough to have a flea market as well.  I think that would be so much fun!!!




I hope you all have a wonderful and blessed day!!!!!


Michella
xoxo

4 comments:

Debilou ~ Mississippi Mama said...

wow,, beautiful transformation. I just love that hutch. You did a great job on it.

One Cheap B*tch said...

LOVE IT! Did I say that loud enough? =) Seriously, that is one gorgeous makeover and piece of furniture!

Coming over from the Shabby Chic Cottage and a happy new follower!

Jeanine

Julie said...

Wow! I love the hutch. It is the perfect combo of cottage and farmhouse - my favorites! I too love chicken wire. Going to put some in an old armoire/wardrobe I got off of Craigs list. (Love that resource.) You did an awesome job on it. You are a talented lady!!!! woot. Thanks for sharing the before and after. It's outstanding! Have a great day.

Carolyn said...

I'm so impressed and just found your site.Thank you for sharing some of your tips.Great short and to the point tutorial, definitely has me ready to take on some of my painting projects!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails